The CNPS North Coast Chapter Research Grant
The North Coast Chapter of the California Native Plant Society (CNPS) is offering a research grant (2 awards per year) of up to $1,000 for studies of local, native plants. The grant is available to undergraduate and graduate students at Humboldt State University and College of the Redwoods. Its purpose is to encourage learning about native plants in Humboldt, Trinity, Siskiyou and Del Norte Counties and to support projects that will advance knowledge of them.
To apply for the grant submit the following by March 1, two pages please:
- Title of the project, applicant’s name, address, phone number, email address, and the date submitted.
- Estimated time frame for project.
- Description of the project: Outline the purposes, objectives, hypotheses where appropriate, and methods of data collection and analysis. Highlight aspects of the work that you believe are particularly important and creative. How will it advance our knowledge of our local native plants?
- Description of the final product.
- Budget: Summarize intended use of funds. Our grant does not approve the outright purchase of capital equipment or high-end items such as computers and software.
- Academic status (school, graduate student, undergrad)
- Letter of support from a sponsor, such as an academic supervisor, major professor, professional associate or colleague should accompany your application.
- Your signature, as the person performing the project and the one responsible for dispersing the funds. All of the information related to your application may be submitted electronically.
Grant recipients will be selected by a committee approved by the chapter’s steering committee and consisting of at least one HSU staff and one non-HSU chapter member.
The grant recipient will be expected to give a brief presentation of his/her project at a chapter meeting and in the chapter’s newsletter.
Recipients may reapply and receive a second grant, but no more.
The North Coast Chapter of the California Native Plant Society is a group of enthusiastic people sharing their knowledge of California's native plants, studying native plants, and speaking up for native plants in conservation issues. The public is welcome at our events. We encourage membership in CNPS to make our voice for native plants stronger. The mission of the California Native Plant Society (CNPS) is to increase understanding and appreciation of California's native plants and to conserve them and their natural habitats through science, education, advocacy, horticulture, and land stewardship.